5 Tips to Get Your Diabetes Under Control

Controlling diabetes is a everyday challenge, but the attempt is worth it. You will feel better and have more energy, right away. The payoff? You’ll live better and longer with less risk of problems from diabetes like heart attacks, strokes, kidney failure, even blindness.

The key to managing your diabetes is to keep your blood sugar levels as close to normal as possible. It sounds tough, but there are simple steps you can follow.

diabetes-spot-check-your-sugar

Spot Check Your Sugar

You and your doctor will have set a schedule to test your blood sugar. Add an extra check on top. Maybe at breakfast one day, lunch the next, and so on. It’s like popping in unannounced.

“If you’re a supervisor and your workers know that you’re only going to come once a day to check on them, chances are they’re going to be well-behaved during that particular time and the rest of the day you’re going to be doing other things,” says Sethu Reddy, MD, chief of the adult diabetes section at the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston. “If you spot check, you have a much better sense of how things are going.”

Use that information to adjust your eating and exercise to gain even better control if you need to.

diabetes-count-carbs

Count Carbs

They can quickly send your blood sugar on a roller-coaster ride. That’s why it’s so important to keep track.

Most women need 35-45 grams of carbs per meal while guys need 45-60 grams, says Jessica Crandall, a dietitian and spokesperson for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. A cup of rice or pasta is about 45 grams.

To make the most of them, pair your carbs with a protein, like nuts. Opt for high-fiber carbs. Both will slow digestion so you feel full without raising blood sugar.

“Fiber is really important for blood-sugar control, but it’s also a Roto-Rooter to clear out cholesterol building in blood vessels,” Crandall says.

Good sources of fiber and carbs include whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, and dried beans.

Be wary of “no-sugar” products. That doesn’t always mean no carbs. Foods that have “sugar alcohols” — things that usually end in “ol” like xylitol and mannitol — do contain carbs.

“I typically count them as half the carb,” Crandall says. “They may not spike your blood sugar as quickly but they will cause a rise.”

diabetes-think-of-exercise-as-medicine

Think of Exercise as Medicine

It’s a great way to lower blood sugar, Reddy says, but the effects wear off within a week after you stop.

You need to do it regularly. Try to get 150 minutes a week. You can break that up into smaller chunks, like half an hour a day, 5 days a week. You don’t have to become a gym rat, either. It’s OK to walk, run, or bike. Talk to your doctor about an exercise plan before you start.

Physical activity also releases compounds your body makes called endorphins, which boost your mood.

diabetes-numbers

Know Your Numbers

Blood-sugar readings aren’t the only numbers you need to keep track of. Your doctor will also watch your blood pressure and cholesterol.

These numbers will tell you if your health is on track:

• A1c, which measures blood sugar levels over time. This should be tested at least twice a year.
  • Cholesterol levels, which should be tested at least every 5 years and more often if you have trouble with it.
  • Blood pressure and weight, which will get checked every time you visit the doctor.

createanidealteam-diabetes

Build a Dream Team

Diabetes is a whole-body, whole-person disease and is best treated by a team of experts, headed by you, of course. This can include your doctor along with a nutritionist, dentist, pharmacist, nurse, and others.

“Diabetes is a complex disease. Your doctor can’t do it alone,” says Olveen Carrasquillo, MD, chief of the division of general internal medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.

And don’t forget your friends and family. People with social and family support are more likely to stick to their plans.

“There are two parts. There’s a health care team but also a home team,” Carrasquillo says.

The article originally published on WebMD.

Read More Post

11 thoughts on “5 Tips to Get Your Diabetes Under Control

• November 4, 2016 at 6:17 am

I see your page is similar to my page. Do you allow guest posting?
    I can write unique and interesting content for you.
    Let me know if you are interested.

• December 26, 2016 at 3:51 am

I and also my friends appeared to be going through the good tips from the website then quickly I had a horrible suspicion I never expressed respect to you for those techniques. These boys ended up for this reason very interested to study all of them and have surely been enjoying them. Thanks for turning out to be indeed accommodating and also for going for varieties of exceptional subject matter millions of individuals are really needing to be aware of. My personal honest regret for not saying thanks to earlier.

• December 26, 2016 at 5:01 am

There are certainly loads of details like that to take into consideration. That could be a great point to convey up. I provide the thoughts above as basic inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place the most important factor shall be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, however I am positive that your job is clearly identified as a fair game. Each girls and boys really feel the impression of just a moment抯 pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

• December 26, 2016 at 1:51 pm

Thanks so much for giving everyone an extremely wonderful opportunity to check tips from here. It can be so amazing plus packed with fun for me and my office friends to search your site at the very least 3 times in one week to read the fresh things you have. And of course, I am just at all times astounded for the sensational opinions you serve. Selected 4 ideas in this article are definitely the most impressive I have had.

• December 27, 2016 at 3:20 pm

I needed to put you one tiny remark just to say thank you the moment again with the incredible ideas you’ve documented on this website. It was so remarkably generous of you to supply without restraint exactly what many individuals would’ve offered for sale for an e book to generate some cash for their own end, chiefly considering that you might have tried it in case you desired. The tactics additionally worked like the fantastic way to be certain that some people have a similar keenness the same as mine to find out lots more with regards to this issue. I am sure there are many more fun situations ahead for individuals who take a look at your site.

• December 28, 2016 at 4:13 pm

I simply had to appreciate you all over again. I am not sure the things that I would have made to happen in the absence of the type of opinions documented by you about that area of interest. Certainly was an absolute distressing issue in my position, nevertheless encountering a specialised strategy you handled the issue took me to weep with happiness. I am happy for the support and as well , expect you recognize what an amazing job that you are providing training some other people by way of your site. I know that you’ve never got to know any of us.

• December 28, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Thank you for each of your work on this web site. My mom take interest in carrying out investigations and it’s really simple to grasp why. I notice all about the powerful manner you provide important items via this website and attract response from people on the matter then our own child is really becoming educated a lot of things. Enjoy the remaining portion of the year. You’re performing a useful job.

• December 30, 2016 at 5:46 am

Thanks a lot for giving everyone an exceptionally superb chance to read in detail from this site. It is always so brilliant and also jam-packed with a lot of fun for me personally and my office colleagues to visit your web site at minimum three times every week to read the new tips you will have. And definitely, we are usually fascinated with your impressive pointers you serve. Certain 3 facts in this article are clearly the best I have had.

• December 31, 2016 at 8:44 pm

I must express my love for your kindness supporting persons that have the need for guidance on the concept. Your special commitment to getting the message around came to be rather invaluable and has encouraged guys just like me to reach their endeavors. Your new important key points means a great deal a person like me and still more to my peers. Best wishes; from all of us.

• January 1, 2017 at 7:56 am

I simply wanted to write down a word to say thanks to you for the precious suggestions you are posting at this site. My time intensive internet look up has now been recognized with good quality facts and techniques to write about with my co-workers. I ‘d express that many of us visitors actually are undoubtedly endowed to exist in a useful network with so many awesome professionals with insightful things. I feel quite grateful to have encountered your entire site and look forward to so many more entertaining moments reading here. Thank you again for all the details.

• January 1, 2017 at 6:17 pm

I would like to point out my admiration for your kind-heartedness for those people who actually need help with in this area of interest. Your real dedication to passing the solution all-around came to be unbelievably good and has constantly made guys and women much like me to reach their pursuits. Your personal valuable suggestions entails a lot to me and even further to my fellow workers. Regards; from each one of us.